Our aim is to ensure that disabled people are enabled to fully participate within their communities,
· We will establish a properly funded Disability agency which will report directly to the Minister for Social Development. It shall be responsible for monitoring the disability sector and for establishing a national plan to improve the position of disabled people in society.
· We will continue to encourage improved facilities for disabled access to buildings and open spaces open to the public.
· We will assist Local Bodies with finance for disabled-accessible public transport vehicles and for other necessary services to enable disabled people to attend workplaces and educational and recreational facilities.
· All disabled people shall be entitled to continuing assistance comparable to that available to those with similar disabilities to those injured in accidents and eligible for benefits under ACC.
· Employers of disabled staff will be eligible to receive interest-free loans to assist with necessary modifications of workplace equipment.
· We will ensure that helpers employed to assist disabled people will be adequately trained and remunerated accordingly.
- Our emphasis in special education at all levels for those who by reason of substantial physical or mental disabilities need special care and attention will be to develop (in a normal education environment where it is reasonable to do so) the individual as a worthwhile, respected member of the community contributing as much to it as the disabilities allow.
- We will help provide the material facilities required for people with genuine needs resulting from a disability to live in dignity and security.
- Where our adequate living income policy does not provide sufficient income to enable those with genuine needs resulting from disability to maintain the quality of living they would otherwise enjoy, a supplementary allowance will be made to them on a case by case basis.
Published: July 2017